Downtown Dubai is relatively new, having been developed in the 2000s. Prior to this, the area was mainly a desert and an area of low-density residential development. Real estate company Emaar Properties launched the Downtown Dubai development, which has created an ambitious plan to transform the area into a premier tourist and residential destination.
Development began in 2004 with the construction of the Burj Khalifa Tower, which was inaugurated in 2010 and has become an iconic symbol of Dubai. Construction of the Dubai Fountain, which stands opposite the tower, began in 2007 and was inaugurated in 2009. Since then, the area has developed rapidly, with the construction of many other landmark buildings, including the Dubai Mall, one of the world’s largest shopping centers.
Downtown Dubai has been designed to offer a superior living and working experience, with a range of world-class facilities, including luxury hotels, restaurants, shops, green spaces, museums, entertainment and business centres. The location has rapidly gained popularity with tourists, expatriates and local residents, attracting millions of visitors each year.
It is a constantly evolving area with a high tourist traffic. However, it can be estimated that the district has several thousand residents, mainly expatriates and professionals working in the companies located in the district.
Most of the accommodations in Downtown Dubai are luxury flats, penthouses and hotel residences, with a range of amenities available to residents. The area is also known for its tourist attractions, restaurants and entertainment spaces, making it a gathering place for tourists and residents of the city.
MASTER DEVELOPPER : EMAAR
The master developer of Downtown Dubai is the real estate company Emaar Properties, which initiated the development of the area in the 2000s. Emaar Properties is one of the largest real estate companies in the Middle East, with a strong presence in Dubai’s residential and commercial real estate markets.
The company has a reputation for developing ambitious and innovative projects, such as the Burj Khalifa Tower and the Dubai Mall, which have helped raise Dubai’s profile as a destination of choice for international investors, tourists and residents.
As master developer, Emaar Properties is responsible for the planning, design, construction and management of the majority of Downtown Dubai’s properties and infrastructure, including residential buildings, hotels, shopping centres, green spaces and entertainment facilities.
It is now one of the most iconic areas in the city of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is located in the centre of the city, just southwest of Dubai Creek.
Downtown is best known for being home to the world’s tallest tower, the Burj Khalifa, which stands at an impressive height of 828 metres. In addition to the Burj Khalifa, the area is also home to the world’s largest shopping mall, the Dubai Mall, as well as many other shopping centres, restaurants, luxury hotels and tourist attractions.
Downtown Dubai is also famous for its dancing fountain show, the Dubai Fountain, which is located directly opposite the Burj Khalifa. The dancing fountains are accompanied by synchronised music and are a breathtaking sight to see.
In addition to all the tourist attractions, Downtown Dubai is also a vibrant place to live with many luxury flats, prestigious residences and modern workspaces, making it a popular location for expatriates and international businesses.
Top 10 – Things to do in Downtown Dubai:
- Visit the Burj Khalifa: The world’s tallest tower, which offers a breathtaking view of the city of Dubai from its observation deck on the 124th floor.
- Shopping at the Dubai Mall: With more than 1,200 shops, the Dubai Mall is the largest shopping mall in the world. You can find everything from international brands to local designer shops.
- See the dancing fountains: The Dubai Fountain is an incredible show of dancing fountains, accompanied by synchronized music. The show takes place every evening on the artificial lake opposite the Burj Khalifa.
- Explore the Souk Al Bahar: This traditional souk is located right next to the Dubai Mall and offers a more authentic shopping experience. You can find jewellery, carpets, clothes, and souvenirs.
- Dine in one of the world famous restaurants: Downtown is home to many fine dining restaurants, some owned by famous chefs from around the world. You can find international cuisine, traditional dishes from the Middle East region and much more.
- Visit the Dubai Opera: This magnificent building hosts dance, theatre, opera and classical music performances. It is a must for culture lovers.
- Take a walk along the promenade: The Dubai Creek promenade is a pleasant place to stroll, relax and enjoy the view of the water. You can also take a boat to explore the creek more closely.
- Visit the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo: Located inside the Dubai Mall, this giant aquarium is home to thousands of marine species, including sharks and rays. You can also explore the Underwater Zoo to discover fascinating aquatic animals.
- Explore the historic district of Al Fahidi: Located close to Downtown Dubai, the historic Al Fahidi district is one of the oldest areas in Dubai. Here you can see traditional stone and coral buildings, as well as museums and art galleries.
- Enjoy the city park: City Park is a large park located in the Downtown Dubai area. You can enjoy a relaxing walk in the park, have a picnic or work out using the free fitness facilities.
These activities are just a small selection of all there is to do in Downtown Dubai.
In addition to the attractions mentioned above, there are several other points to consider:
- Is known as a centre of Dubai’s nightlife, with many bars, clubs and restaurants offering a lively atmosphere after dark.
- Hosts several events throughout the year, including the Dubai Dance Festival, the Dubai Festival of Lights, the Dubai Food Festival, as well as numerous exhibitions and conferences.
- The area is also an important business centre, with many offices and headquarters of international companies.
- Accommodation in Downtown Dubai is generally of a high standard, ranging from luxury flats to spacious penthouses, with a range of amenities available to residents, including swimming pools, gyms, tennis courts and nearby shopping centres.
In terms of location, Downtown Dubai is situated in the centre of Dubai city. It is bordered by the Business Bay area to the east, the Za’abeel area to the south and the Al Wasl area to the west. The area is easily accessible from other parts of the city, with several major roads leading to it, including the Sheikh Zayed Expressway and the Al Khail Expressway.
The area is also well served by public transport, with a metro station (Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall) serving the area. There are also bus stops nearby, as well as taxi and VTC services available.
Downtown is close to several other popular areas, including the historic Bastakiya district, Dubai Parks and Resorts, Dubai World Trade Centre and Dubai International Financial Centre. Jumeirah Beach is also a short drive away.
- Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall Metro Station: 2 minutes walk
- Dubai International Airport: 15-20 minutes by car or 30-35 minutes by metro
- Dubai Marina: 20-25 minutes by car or 40-45 minutes by metro
- Jumeirah beach: 15-20 minutes by car
- Dubai Parks and Resorts theme park : 25-30 minutes by car
- Dubai World Trade Center: 5-10 minutes by car or 10-15 minutes by metro
- Mall of the Emirates: 15-20 minutes by car or 25-30 minutes by metro
- Business Bay: 5-10 minutes by car or 10-15 minutes by metro